Frequently Asked Questions

Radio Control Planes

What is the best way to learn to fly radio control planes?

To fly a Radio Controlled Aircraft it is highly recommended that you learn on a high wing trainer plane. These are designed to be stable in flight and as forgiving as possible for the learner. It is also highly recommended that you join a club to learn how to fly and only fly in approved areas. STANBRIDGES have available a club contact list - there are over 25 aeromodellers clubs throughout the state. Once you have mastered the trainer then you can advance to mid-wing, low wing and bi-planes. The engine and radio that you start with can be transferred into the other kit. All of the starting gear, fuel and associated items can also be used for the other plane. Numerous plane kits are available to learn on - and even more are available once you know how to fly. Ask the staff if you have a request for a particular plane and they will see if its is available.

Which trainer kit should I get?


This trainer plane kit is our most popular R/C plane. It requires a lot of work to make but is a tried and proven design that has been updated over the years. It features a fully built up wing that requires a reasonable degree of modeling skills. It has a steerable nose wheel or can be built as a tail dragger and a wing span of 1550mm. It will fly with a .35 to .46 cubic inch motor. It can be built as a 3 or 4 channel unit. It will require 3 rolls of Solar Film to cover.


This trainer kit has some very interesting features : it includes a 15 size motor and can be flown on a 2 channel radio. The kit needs covering materials, push rods and fuel tank. It can be set up to fly only using rudder and elevator with no engine speed control but is easier to control using a 3-4 channel radio.


The kit is designed and built in Australia and is an inexpensive way to get into RC flying.



This high wing trainer is an ARF kit. This is the easiest way to start flying ? kit comes complete just add 4 channel radio and engine and you are in the air. Designed to fly with a .25 to .46 cubic inch motor. And has a wingspan of 56 1/2 inches



This high wing trainer is an ARF kit. This is the easiest way to start flying ? kit comes complete WITH RADIO INSTALLED - FUTABA 4 CHANNEL FM and Super Tiger 40. Nicads and charger included. It has a wingspan of 1568mm.

Cost $740.00 NOT INSTALLED (KIT1)



An ideal trainer in a classic shape. This plane is an ARF, covered. Instructional video included. Wingspan 1495mm.

Which radio should I use?

We recommend FM radios (starting at $282) for powered aircraft - the range is superior (1000M) compared to AM (100M), Why 4 channels - 1 channel for each function - engine speed, rudder and elevator - and if the kit is designed for them - ailerons on the wings. Some more advanced kits may have flaps and retractable undercarriage - in which case a 6 channel radio is required - these start at $348.00 for a SANWA unit that includes all nicad batteries , charger and 4 servos. We stock all the leading brands - Futaba, Sanwa, Hi-Tec and JR. The Hi Tec Ranger 2 channel AM radio is excellent as a cheaper alternative it has superior range to other AM sets but is only suitable for gliders or limited function powered aircraft.

Which batteries should I use?

NI-CAD BATTERIES ($3.95 EACH FOR 750mah) are recommended for the radio gear. 8AA for the transmitter (Tx) and 4AA for the receiver (Rx). Most clubs prefer that the Rx batteries are soldered together (cost between $17 - $30 per pack depending on battery capacity). Capacities of 600mah to 1400mah are available for the Rx - the higher the amperage the longer the time between charges. Capacities of 600mah to 1000mah are available for the Tx.

Engines and Fuel?

Engines come in various sizes and quality. They all require a 1.5 Volt starter battery to make the glow plug glow. This is disconnected once the engine has started. Most are termed 2 stroke but all require model engine fuel that has a lubricant mixed with methanol and varying percentages of nitro methane - the lubricant is generally Castor Oil but synthetic lubricants are available that do not leave as much mess but not as good a lubricant for the engine. The more Nitro Methane in the fuel the higher the power output. Most engines will run 5% - 15% Nitro. Run the engine in with the least possible amount of Nitro Methane. Most engines are sized in cubic inches ( - a 60 size engine is .60 or 10cc. Cheaper engines are bushed and better quality ones are ballraced. Four stroke engines are also available - they are quieter, more expensive, have small mufflers and can turn a bigger propeller. We can get just about any engine you want but we stock OS, Leo, Cox, MDS, Saito and Enya.

Gliders - What is EPP?

We stock a large range of gliders including the new EPP foam - these are virtually indestructible. Speak to some of the staff - they fly them. WHAT IS EPP? EXPANDED POLYPROPYLENE FOAM. This a revolutionary new material for Foam Model Aircraft. Originally designed for computer packaging - it is now also used inside car dashboards and the like. EPP looks like shiny polystyrene foam, but is an incredibly tough and resilient foam. It can be driven over by a car and it will deform a when the car goes over it, but after there will be no distortion left on the foam. It is widely used in the USA for Foamy production. EPP models will last a lot longer than Polystyrene. When your model looks tired and creased simply remove the tape and recover for a fresh new looking model.

What is the difference between Mode I and Mode II?

Mode I Mode I has the Throttle and Aileron on the right stick. The Elevator and Rudder are on the left stick. This is the most common in Australia with Mode II gaining in popularity. Mode II This mode has the Aileron and Elevator, the two main controls, on the right stick. The Throttle and Rudder are on the left stick.

Contact Stanbridges

Stanbridges Hobby Shop

29-31 Railway Parade
Mt Lawley, Perth 6050
Western Australia

Opposite the Guildford Road Subway


Ph: (08) 9271 8929

Free Call: 1800 811 455



Choose an alternative currency to show comparison pricing.

School Accounts

Login here.

Apply for a School Account.